The United States Constitution and laws in New York protect the civil rights of all citizens from illegal searches and seizures, excessive force, false arrests and imprisonment, and malicious prosecutions. If you feel that your civil rights have been violated, you should consult with an experienced civil rights attorney immediately.
Although the majority of police in New York City and Long Island play by the rules, there are unfortunately, some who do not. Some police resort to illegal and unethical tactics while in the course of their duties.
Some examples of situations which may constitute a civil rights violation include:
- You are taken into custody by police without probable cause
- You spend time in police custody, jail, or prison following an illegal arrest
- Your body or property is searched or held without the proper justification
- Police use excessive force and injure you while being taken into custody or while in custody
- You are prosecuted for a crime following an unlawful arrest
- Police threaten to injure you or use intimidation tactics on you
The civil rights attorneys at Donnelly Stehn have years of experience prosecuting crimes as well as defending civil rights and will be able to let you know if you have the grounds for a civil lawsuit. It is important to contact an attorney as soon as possible, as there are strict statutes of limitations when pursuing a civil rights claim against a municipality. Contact us today for a free consultation.